Sunday, April 15, 2012
Some Spoiler-Free Reasons to see Cabin in the Woods
* It's the smartest horror film you're likely to see: Trust me on this one, and trust the folks who made it. If you have an appreciation for the genre, you'll find a lot to love here. If you're not a fan of the genre (like myself), there's plenty here to appreciate. It's something you can go see with your horror-loving friends without much of a hassle.
* The casting is perfect: Without giving anything away, there's not a bad choice in casting at all. Fran Kranz (who you probably know as Topher from Dollhouse) steals the entire movie, Chris Hemsworth (Thor) was perfect, as were the two leading ladies, Kristen Connolly (who I hope to see in a lot more in the future) and Anna Hutchison.
* A few great cameos/casting choices on the side: Those who are fans of the Whedonverse in general will find a few fun Easter eggs casting-wise, as well as one major cameo that comes out of nowhere.
* Solid writing: Again, expected from Whedon/Goddard, but it's classic Whedon one-liners combined with what may be the best euphemism I've heard in a while...
* You're best to go in blind: If you haven't seen a trailer yet, don't. If you haven't read any real reviews, keep it that way. The less you know going in, the better off you'll be. It's a movie that's truly more fun the less you know. You'll thank me later if you're on the fence.
I know this is probably the worst, least informative review you'll read about this movie, but it's like that for a reason. You need something to bridge the Hunger Games-to-Avengers gap in your movie watching this month, and this really should hit your list. Totally, completely worth your time.